Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Where's PETA?

The NCAA has gone stupid again. First, it was forcing the state of Georgia to change it's state flag before they could have the Final Four here. The end result? A flag that more closely resembles the actual flag of the confederacy than the previous one. But it's okay because apparently that year of 8th grade Georgia history left absolutely no impression of what the US Civil War was actually about. The Ol' Stars and Bars meant slavery, the Flag of the Confederacy apparently didn't.

But back to my original point. Why is it just Native American tribes? How about Notre Dame? I'm of Irish descent and I happen to find it rather offensive that I am expected to be violent as a result of my heritage. Sure, I've kicked an ass or two in my time, and there was that spell where I beat up the entire membership of the Justice League including the Hall of Justice staff and the pizza delivery guy. Sorry, bad timing pizza dude. The Irish are lovers, not fighters. It just happens that our primary love is alcohol and that bitch sometimes makes me want to throw other dudes through plate glass windows or into vats of hot, molten iron.

But what about the poor, defenseless animals. What kind of image are you sending when you call your team something like the Wildcats and then proceed to get your asses whupped up and down the field/court/badminton arena? Aren't you in fact supporting animal abuse? How should I interpret it when the announcer says, "Wow, those Cocks are really sticking it to those Pussies...er, I mean Cougars." Isn't that exactly like supporting cock-fighting, or dog fights. Next, there'll be underground circuits for insect fights. "Five hundred on the Yellow Jackets over the Hornets. And twenty on the dung beetles in the next match." Stop the violence, man. The NCAA's lack of respect for animal life is fo'shizzilin all over my mah'nizzilin.

No comments: