Wednesday, August 03, 2005

First Day Fun

First day for teachers. Kids show next Wednesday.

I like my high school. It's not as white as my last one, four years ago. Jesus, four years ago?

We got to hear the canned speech from our myrmidon board chairman (chairwoman?). Bitch, bitch, bitch about the plan to equip all middle and high school kids with personal laptop computers. Judge put the smack down on that bait and switch. They'll probably waste more money that could be used to hire a teacher or two, fix dilapidated buildings, or other generally good investments to appeal the decision. They haven't said yet, but they probably will. Stubborn bunch this school board. Followed up with the standard routine (about the 3rd time I've heard the same schtick from her) about her cancer survival and inspirational. Last time she gave us some red sneakers for "running with the big dogs," or something equally corny. This time she gave us her star underwear. I was too busy swallowing the little bit of vomit that worked it's way up to hear her rationale.

More pointless meetings. More stuff I pretended to listen to while I mentally categorized my CD collection. Even more stuff while I was thinking about how much more fun I would be having if I were nailing my hand to a concrete wall. And even more pretending to listen as I analyzed the sounds created while I was chewing my lunch, so I guess I was listening, just not to what was being said. Most importantly, I missed nothing. It was all in the memo I got by e-mail this morning.

But one thing I did learn today. When you buy new tires and they ask if you want road hazard coverage, the answer is yes. The $5 I spent for the coverage was more than paid for between the 3 visits to have holes plugged for "free" and the $87 I saved today on a pro-rated new tire when I got a nail in the sidewall yesterday. And the guys at NTB are great. I can't recall one single bad experience in the 9 years I've done business with them and I've used about 4 of their Atlanta locations during that time.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Does Medium Dave still work at NTB?

chris said...

Don't know. He works over near your old apartment, on the access road there.

Probably. If he hasn't died of syphillis or some other oozing penis disease.