Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Call me Mr. Insensitive

I like to think that I'm pretty respectful of people and their religion(s). From previous experience and conversations with friends of religious backgrounds I feel like I know a decent amount about some of them, especially with respect to religious holidays. But the note from the principal recently is a little over the edge.
If a student is absent on Oct. 13th and brings in a note for the absence to be excused for this religious reason, please meet with the student on Monday and mutually agree on a makeup time without making the student feel "guilty" or that the makeup test is "a pain for you to schedule" (this should not happen for any excused absence). Follow excused makeup guidelines that are published in the student handbook; one day for each day absent plus one. If Oct. 13 is the only day absent, the work should be madeup by the end of the day Tuesday. As the teacher, I allow you the flexibility to extend the time if you wish.

WTF? I'm not allowed to be inconvenienced? Not that I was, but it's allowable to issue a mandate stating that I must not be annoyed by the inconvenience of rescheduling a previously scheduled event?

I was preemptive and I made a note to not test on Thursday, but that made a Monday test (which I hate) and everyone had known about it for seven days!

Tell me not to be inconvenienced. Pshah!

1 comment:

Brian said...

I didn't realize that John Peel Day counted as a religious holiday.