Thursday, September 25, 2003

We have this ridiculous woman that runs a free (to the students) tutoring service at my school that gets on the horn almost every morning and afternoon and tries to speak ghetto/hip-hop slang announcing times and such for the tutoring sessions. I guess the kids talked her into doing it and apparently it met with decent results last year because she keeps on doing it day after day, like some type of Pavlovian response of sorts. It's quite annoying, but often times humorous, at least when the kids have convinced her to say something that has subtextual connotations that she obviously doesn't understand. For example, last year, she became infamous for the phrase, "we got you covered like a jimmy hat." I was in the hall when I heard it so I couldn't tell if I heard what I thought I had. Then, the uproars of laughter from throughout the halls confirmed my suspicions. I suppose her message wasn't too inappropriate. I would have been racked to figure out a way to encourage seeking help with studies while increasing safe sex awareness in the same sentence.

No comments: