Tuesday, September 23, 2003

I'm taking the advice of a good friend and started a new "blog" dedicated to providing my personal insight into the high school education system, world events, and of course, the random neural meandering.

To introduce myself and without being too specific, I am a high school science teacher in the lagerst metropolitan area of Georgia. I teach pretty much anything that isn't life science. Never had much personal interest in living organisms beyond the essential hands-on anatomy lessons, and I mean essential!! I'm married and have no kids of my own. I must claim about 80 children that don't belong to me every semester and that seems to be more than enough for me. I'm in my mid-20's and genetics has already started getting me back for not studying it more seriously by deciding which mamallian features I can retain upon my increasingly reflective cranium, but it isn't too bad yet. I received a real degree from an engineering school before obtaining a Masters degree in Education, one of the biggest shams of my entire life. Let's just say that getting a 4.0 in graduate school was cake compared to the work I had to do to earn a 3.5 in undergraduate studies. For an idea, from 15 hours per lab report per week to one 10 hour "project" all semester. Now I've been teaching in a public high school for about 3 years and I've probably experienced most of what it has to offer, especially the glass ceiling that's reached after just one year. And I just love my 14-hour work days. Luckily, the wife travels for work so I don't have to sleep on the couch.

I try to keep up with current events, mostly from the Internet because I don't have cable and the system at school only provides obviously left-leaning media sources, not to mention those constant idiotic "polls" and Wolf Blitzer's ability to make even the word "sex" sound boring and uninteresting.

Obviously, I have my own opinions about pretty much everything. I don't claim to have the right answer every time but I am willing to do a little research to figure things out. In person, I'm seem boring at first because I think too much before speaking but those that really know me know better. I have the personality quirks that make us all interesting people. I relate well with the guy on Curb Your Enthusiasm with all of his "rules," but I never really liked Seinfeld that much. I am horrendous at keeping up with old friends and even worse at returning phone calls. I probably have ADD as a result of growing up in the Nintendo and MTV generation but I manage to cope without prescription drugs. I claim to be Libertarian but still tend to do things like vote for maintaining an increased sales tax rate that will hopefully keep my property and ad valorem taxes decently low.

Hopefully, that's enough of an introduction. I'll add comments and links as soon as I don't have a lab to prep when it's already almost 9 PM.

No comments: