Wednesday, October 08, 2003

$0.25/hr Optimistic?

So, it's 9 PM and I finally get a chance to do my own work. We had an "early-release" day today where the kids go home early so we can have some fun and exciting staff development. Let me interpret. We sit in the library and perform high-skill tasks such as grading writing samples with a rubric and/or get talked at on how to grade writing samples with a rubric. This has been the topic of our last 5 or so at least. Apparently, teaching illiterates how to write Shakespeare is one of our school goals. I'd like to see the English, History, etc. people trying to teach science or math. On second thought, the kids are already bad enough at those subjects.

After the exhilirating yet educational meeting, I got to ride the Big Cheese with a handful of kids down to ol' Ma Tech for a Technology Enrichment Session for the robotics club. Another 4 hours down the tubes. Why do I do it? It's good for the kids, I guess that's all that matters. Finally back in my room and now I don't feel like doing a damned thing. Well, except for this I guess. I've always been the best at time management. The greatest challenge of each day is trying to trick myself into forgetting I've been here since 7 AM.

I hate that a great deal of teachers are 8-3:30'ers. Not that they aren't doing work at home in a lot of cases, but the image is that that's all of the work that they do. That perpetuates the stereotype that teachers don't really do work. Unfortunately, it is true in more cases than I would care to know about, but... For me today, after classes it's robotics, tomorrow it's planning for two presentations I got volunteered to do next week, yesterday it was academic bowl, who knows what on Friday? Not that I'm complaining, I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel like it was beneficial.

From the trenches,
M